Andrew Wellington Cordier Student Essay Contest
The Journal of International Affairs invites students of Columbia University to contribute an analytical piece of 2,000-4,000 words for publication in the forthcoming print issue. Andrew Wellington Cordier became the dean of the School of International Affairs (as it was then known) in 1962 following a distinguished career at the U.S. Department of State and the United Nations. From 1969−1970, he served as president of Columbia University.
The Andrew Wellington Cordier contest is open to all currently enrolled Columbia University students. The selected piece will be featured both in the print version and on JIA’s website, and the winner receives a prize of $350.
About the Issue
The Journal of International Affairs was established in 1947 to serve as a forum to explore pressing issues and offer innovative solutions to problems of global concern. For its 152nd issue, the journal seeks to initiate a dialogue on the interplay of technology and policy practice by delving into the intersection of innovation and governance. We seek perspectives from student policymakers who are using technology to advance policy objectives across an array of sectors, as well from regulators who are confronting that rapid technological evolution to harness the potential and mitigate the harm. Additionally, we seek perspectives from practitioners in the private and nonprofit sectors who are doing the same—deploying new technologies to serve their constituencies, both domestically and across borders.
Possible topics for consideration include, but are not limited to:
- Technology as a tool climate change mitigation and adaptation
- Gender data gaps and technology solutions
- Supply chain and logistics
- Monitoring, evaluation, and learning
- Cyberspace in military operations
- Drones, especially as a violence mitigation force
- Social media, especially in the conflict landscape
- Misinformation and disinformation
- AI use in the triple nexus of human rights, humanitarianism, and peacebuilding
- Ethical dimensions of technology usage and regulation
JIA publishes original, unpublished work and follows Chicago’s Notes and Bibliography system. Please email your draft to [email protected] with “JIA Cordier Prize” in the subject line. Learn more about the issue on the website.
The deadline to submit is Monday, December 4, 2023.