The Journal of International Affairs hosted a Thought Leadership Forum on Authoritarian States to mark the launch of the fall/winter 2011 issue, “Inside the Authoritarian State,” an in-depth examination of the mechanics of authoritarian regimes and the roles these states play on the world stage.
The Forum is the Journal’s signature event; it is an opportunity for students and thought leaders to engage in intellectual discourse with the rigor and spirit of inquiry that fosters a more nuanced understanding of the issues. Speakers included:
- Gary Sick, Senior Research Scholar at Columbia University’s Middle East Institute and former US National Security Council member under Presidents Ford, Carter, and Reagan
- Andrew Exum, Senior Fellow at the Center for New American Security
- Peter Godwin, foreign correspondent and author of The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the Martyrdom of Zimbabwe
- Christopher Walker, Vice President for Strategy and Analysis at Freedom House
The Forum was moderated by:
- Cynthia Roberts, Associate Professor of political science at Hunter College and Adjunct Associate Professor at the Saltzman Institute of War and Peace Studies at Columbia University