The Journal of International Affairs is is seeking submissions for the Spring 2018 Cordier/GPPN Student Essay Contest for the coming issue. Selected essays will be published in the Spring 2018 issue. Submissions are welcome on the following topics, or on a topic related to the main theme, Ungoverned Spaces:
- The concept of ‘ungoverned spaces’ has gained traction among policymakers who believe such spaces provide fertile ground for security threats to develop and flourish. What defines an ‘ungoverned space’? Is the concept an accurate or helpful notion? And have policy efforts to eliminate or absorb these spaces been successful?
- Innovation is driving alternative ways of governing. For example, blockchain technology is being used to curtail corruption and as an alternative method of payment, transcending intervention by government institutions. Will we see a revolution in the core elements that define government responsibilities? How will technological innovation define the way society interacts?
- The current global governance of outer space activities was formulated in the 1960s and 1970s. As outer space activities are increasingly commercialized and privatized, does the current governance framework strike the right balance between encouraging the peaceful exploration of outer space and protecting what is, arguably, our largest global commons?
- Essays cannot have been previously published, but need not be written specifically for the contest. Papers submitted for academic credit are welcome, provided they are relevant to the upcoming issue's theme.
- Essays should not exceed 4,000 words.
- Citations should be in the form of footnotes formatted according to the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Please make sure to upload your essay in Microsoft Word format.
The Journal holds two separate student essay contests: the Andrew Wellington Cordier Contest and the Global Public Policy Network Contest. Although the winning authors of both contests are published and rewarded in the same way, the two contests have different eligibility guidelines. Students at Columbia SIPA are eligible for both contests and will be automatically entered for both upon submission.
- Cordier Contest: Students currently enrolled at all Columbia Schools (both graduate and undergraduate).
- GPPN Contest: Students currently enrolled at all GPPN Schools.
For additional information, please contact the