The Journal of International Affairs Online Edition runs in-depth analysis on current global issues and trends all year round. We accept unsolicited submissions and welcome pitches from thought leaders and practitioners in the field of international affairs.
Online submissions may either be Arguments or Comments. Arguments typically range from 1,200 to 2,000 words, which present a comprehensive and detailed inquiry into specific themes. Comments are shorter opinion pieces, ideally from 800 to 1,200 words, which present sharp and insightful perspectives on a specific debate within a broader theme relevant to global discourse.
All submissions must be unpublished, original work.
Please email pitches, submissions and questions to our editorial team at [email protected].
Basic Online Style Guide
- Please use the Chicago Manual Style.
- All facts and quotations must be cited from reputable sources using hyperlinks. Hyperlinks should not typically exceed four to five words at a time. When hyperlinking reports or interviews for quotes, do not hyperlink the text of the quote. Instead, hyperlink the word ‘report’ or ‘interview’. When hyperlinking a statistic, link the text of the statistic.
- Keep paragraphs as short as possible – preferably not more than eight lines long.
- Include a two to three line summary at the head of the essay. The summary should be a tagline for the essay – it must capture the core message of the essay, giving away just enough about the essay to capture readers’ interest.
- Add a brief one to two line bio at the end of the article.
All copyrights for articles published in the print issue and online are held by the Journal of International Affairs and the The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York. For permission to reprint articles, please contact the editorial board at [email protected].
The Journal of International Affairs does not take institutional positions and the views represented are the author’s own and do not necessarily reflect the views of the editorial board or Columbia University.