The Andrew Wellington Cordier Essay Contest
The Journal of International Affairs is seeking student submissions for its semiannual Cordier Essay Contest. The author of the winning article will receive a $500 prize along with publication alongside noted scholars in the sixty-fifth anniversary edition of the Journal, one of the oldest and most respected foreign affairs periodicals.
Submission Deadline: Thursday, January 19, 2012 at 11:59 pm.
- All contest submissions must relate to the topic of our next issue, “The Future of Cities,” described below.
- The Cordier Essay Contest is open to all students currently enrolled at Columbia University.
- Essays cannot have been published previously, but need not be written specifically for the contest. Papers submitted for academic credit are welcome.
- Papers should not exceed 4,000 words.
- Citations must be formatted according to the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th ed.
Authors should send submissions or questions to Nadia Hasham (Cordier and GPPN Editor) at [email protected]
Our Spring/Summer 2012 Issue: “The Future of Cities”
This issue will critically examine the role of cities on the global stage through four prisms: politics, finance, social equity and the environment. With a majority of the world’s population now living in urban areas, have cities become the new states? What are the greatest challenges on the horizon to city sustainability? As cities increasingly serve as economic epicenters for a region or nation, how can city-to-city diplomacy lead to policies that will address rising inequalities in the global economy?